Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Starting A Candy Buffet Part 2

Hello ,and please except my apologies for taking so long to continue this blog session. With that said lets get started.
 
 
Well in my first blog we talked about where to find the supplies we needed to collect (jars, bowels etc). I hope you had success in finding them? Every store you go into, you should be on the look out for a potential addition to your collections.  I did mention in the previous post that I would have contact information for insurance that covers candy buffets. This information I will list at the end of the post.
 
Since you have told friends and family what you are doing and your inventory is constantly being set up remember these few things ( tong, scoops, small bowels, saran wrap). So, your level is to include everything in your buffet, not just candy but, cup cakes, cake pops, marshmallow pops, chocolate covered items.....the works! Don't forget those who no matter what! Won't Eat those things. Depending on the event you are hired to do ask your clients if they will need a small veggie buffet. ( small cups filled with dress then sliced carrots, celery, and maybe other veggies are inserted and served.)


WAIT! before you print those business cards have you checked with your city, township, business zoning? Just call your local city or township and ask if you would need a permit to operate out of your house. My City requires one (Elgin, IL) for even unopened candy.... I have a friend who has a Bakery and I send all my food supplies to her shop when I do Buffets because my house is not zoned for this type of business...can you believe that. So, check before you go and purchase baking equipment etc., which I did only to find out later I would have to find a location outside of my house and garage. 
 
I searched for almost three months looking for a insurance company that one listened, two understood what I was talking about, and three gave me a good price. Miller Insurance & Financial (937)427-3600. I receive no kick backs sending people to them. As all those in business know ..... if you give great service... people will talk and what better advertisement then word of mouth. Call and check them out.
 
 Candy, Candy can come from many different places like favorite grocery store, (Wal-Mart, Meijer's, Sam's club) or you can purchase them whole sale from different candy wholesalers online. My suggestion would be to Google or Bing your area for those who might sale candy wholesale, before going to online companies. ( Candy Warehouse, Discount Bulk Candy). If you go to Candy Warehouse they have a video that will so you how much candy is needed to fill a candy jar its a great tutorial.  They even give you a list of different candy shelf life.
 
I hope this little blog can help you continue your business building. If you have any questions please send them to me. My next blog will be about promoting and marketing. I hope to have my book finished by January 2014. Until then, let me continue to share with you.

Thank You,
Stay Sweet!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for these posts! Hope you have the next one up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing these details here. I am so inspired with the gorgeous details for setting up the candy buffet for my son’s upcoming birthday bash that I am going to host at one of the local Los Angeles event venues. It is really hard to find easy décor inspirations. I wonder if you could help me with this part!

    ReplyDelete